Whenever Profoto introduces a product, anyone in the photo world sits up and takes notice since at the very least, it's going to be impressive. The introduction of the B1 500 AirTTL is truly ground-breaking or to be more accurate, game-changing.
Based on the popular D1 Air series of monolights, all of the familiar professional and convenience features we've come to expect from Profoto are onboard. The B1 has the same dense, durable polymer housing, integrated 77-degree reflector, built-in receiver compatible with Air transmitters and intuitive highly visible controls and display as the D1 but with two striking differences - battery power and TTL camera/flash integration.
Busy photographers can literally set up their lights, slip the optional Air Remote TTL-C transmitter onto their camera's hot shoe and point-and-shoot without taking a reading and testing. Traditionally point-and-shoot would be a suspect term for a pro, but not if you're shooting back to back jobs on an impossible schedule with what you thought was an undoable deadline. Composition, posing etc, is of course up to the photographer, but time after time the B1 will give you a first shot exposure that's a keeper.
The key to this control is the optional Air Remote TTL-C transmitter, available for Canon but also for Nikon DSLRS (TTL-N) in 2014. Operating on 2.4GHz band width, the transmitter, really a controller, has 8 frequency channels and with 3 groups per channel and a range of up to 330' for TTL triggering and 1,000' for normal triggering. Each channel has power ratio capability of +/- 2 stops. If you prefer to use manual you have +/- 9 stops power variation. You've also got modeling light, unit shut-down and first or rear curtain control. The TTL-C and the B1 500 Air TTL have mini-USB connectors for firmware updates directly from Profoto's website. The head can be triggered by any Air Remote but requires the TTL-C for full functionality.
Core performance features are equally impressive. The B1 recycles in 0.1 to 1.9 seconds but can deliver up to 20 flashes per second in Quick Burst Mode which engages at lower power settings. Flash duration in Normal Mode is a very fast 1/1000 sec but there's also a Freeze Mode that delivers flash durations a short as 1/19,000 sec. for capturing liquid sprays or splashes and other creative effects. The modeling light has also been upgraded to LED to put less strain on the battery and provide the equivalent output of a 70W halogen bulb.
And regarding the battery, The B1 500 AirTTL employs a exchangeable Lithium-ion battery that gets up to 220 flashes on a 2-hour charge with the included 2.8A charger or a 1-hour charge with an optional 4.5A quick charger. The Battery has fuel gauge-type LEDs that make monitoring remaining power easy.
Finally, B1's the back panel has been upgraded with a large, bright LCD screen that informs the user of the flash's power level, radio channel and group, sync choice, modeling light mode and recycle alert. There's also a large battery gauge that literally can be read from 20' away.
The B1 500 TTL comes with protective cap, 2.8A charger and a soft case.
- Full E-TTL II with Canon Cameras
- The B1's patent-pending technology fully integrates the flash head with your Canon camera. The integration is so complete that Profoto sometimes refers to the B1 as an "off-camera flash." The key to this control is the Air Remote TTL-C.
- Optional Air Remote TTL-C
- The Air Remote TTL-C transmitter has 8 frequency channels with 3 groups per channel and a range of up to 330' for TTL triggering. Each channel has power ratio capability of +/- 2 stops in TTL or +/- 9 stops in manual. Modeling light, shut-down of the unit and first or rear curtain exposure can also be selected.
- Lithium-ion Battery Powered
- The B1's Lithium-ion battery gives you up to 220 full power flashes and thousands of minimum power flashes on a 2-hour charge from the provided 2.8A multi-voltage charger. An optional 4.5A quick charger shortens that time to 1 hour. Fuel gauge type LEDs on both the battery and charger allow you to monitor remaining power.
- Exceptionally Short Flash Duration
- In Normal Mode, which prioritizes color fidelity, the B1 500 AirTTL is capable of t0.5 flash durations of 1/11,000 sec. at minimum power, and 1/1,000 sec. at full power.
- Freeze Mode
- Freeze Mode automatically selects the shortest flash duration possible at the user-selected power level. Motion-stopping flash durations of 1/19,000 at minimum power make the B1 500 AirTTL ideal for high speed shooting.
- Quick Burst Mode
- At lower power settings Quick Burst Mode allows a series of flashes to be fired at a faster pace than the B1 can recharge, allowing triggering of up to 20 frames per second.
- LED Modeling Lamp
- A 20W LED modeling light with a 70W tungsten-equivalent output draws very little power from the battery and generates minimal heat. The light can be set to proportional or full power and will dim during recycling if that option is selected.
- Redesigned Control Panel
- The B1's control panel has been upgraded with a 1.4 x 2.5" bright LCD screen that informs the user of the flash's Power level, sync choice, modeling light mode and recycle alert. There's also a large battery gauge that literally can be read from 20' away
- Firmware Updates
- Both the flash head and the Air Remote TTL-C have mini-USB connections for firmware updates directly from Profoto's website.
- Power Variable over 9 Stops
- Power can be regulated over a 9-stop range (2.0 - 500W/s / 1/256 - 1/1) in 1/10 or 1-stop increments.
- Full Light Shaper System Compatibility
- With its zoom scale and integrated umbrella sleeve, the B1 500 AirTTL is compatible with Profoto's extensive line of umbrellas, reflectors and softboxes.
- Product Highlights
- Optional Remote Control with Air TTL-C
- Full E-TTL II with Canon Cameras
- 500W/s, 9-Stop Power Range
- Lithium-ion Battery Powered
- Up to 220 Full-Power Flashes
- Flash Duration: 1/19,000 - 1/1,000 Sec
- LED Modeling Lamp
- 20 fps Burst Mode
- 0.1 - 1.9 Sec. Recycling
- Fan Cooled, Built-in 77° Reflector
|Maximum Watt/Seconds||500W/s +/- 1/20 Stop|
|Guide Number||291 @6.56' (2.0 m), 100 ISO with Magnum reflector|
|Display||LCD Indicators for:
Power in 1/10 stop increments
Battery charge level
Modeling light status
Recycle alert: Beep, Dim, Beep and Dim, silent
Sync: Slave, radio channel and group
Back panel control:
Modeling light button
Test, On/Off button
|Flash Variability||In 1/10 or 1 Stop increments 9.0 Stops:
2.0-10 power level (1/256-1/1)
|Recycle Time||Minimum/Maximum: 0.1-1.9 sec.
Quick Burst Mode: 20 frames per sec.
|Flash Duration||Normal mode (t0.5): 1/11,000 - 1/1,000 sec. min/max power
Freeze mode (0.05): 1/19,000 - 1/1,000 sec. min/max power
+/- 150K over entire power range, +/- 20K flash to flash
+/- 800K over entire power range, +/- 50K flash to flash
|Beam Angle||77 Degrees with built-in reflector and opal protective glass|
|Modeling Light||20W LED (70W tungsten equivalent)
Replaceable by service tech.
|Modeling Light Control||Off / Proportional / Free (full) 5.0-100%|
|Wireless Remote||Yes, via optional Air Remote TTL-C/N, Air remote, Air USB (Profoto Studio) Wireless range:
Up to 1,000' (300 m) for normal triggering
Up to 330' (100 m) for TTL with optional Air Remote TTL-C
|Frequency Band||2.4 GHz|
|Triggering||Air radio slaves, optical (IR), sync cord|
|Max Sync Speed||Up to 1/250 sec. in normal mode
Up to 1/8,000 sec. in High Speed mode (requires free firmware update)
|Operating Voltage||100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, Self-sensing
14.8 VDC/3 Ah via included, rechargeable battery
|Auto Power Off||Yes, after 60 minutes of disuse
Sleep mode after 30 minutes of disuse
220 Full power flashes Battery life: 300 charge cycles (to 80% left)
|Flash Ready Indicator||Beep tone, ready right, modeling light dimming|
|Battery Charge Time||2.0 Hours with included 2.8V multi-voltage charger
1.0 Hour with optional 4.5V quick charger
|Battery Charge Display||Green LED indicators: 3 Sections: 100-70%
2 Sections: 70-40%
1 Section: 40-10%
1 Section blinking
|User Replaceable Flashtube||No, via authorized service tech.|
|Circuit Protection||Adaptive thermal control|
|Operating Temperature||14 to +122°F (-10 to +50°C)
Storage: 4 to +140°F (-20 to +60°C)
|Dimensions||Length x diameter:
Body only: 12.2 x 5.12 (310 x 130 mm)
With 5/8" (16 mm) stand adapter: 12.2 x 6.69" (310 x 170 mm)
|Weight||6.61 lb (3.0 kg) Including battery|
What's in the box?
Write Your Own Review
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.